Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Are we there yet?

Who is more oppressed in this country... blacks or women? Elle (http://www.lmortlock.blogspot.com/) of She is... asked this morning. I began to recall the discrimination and mistreatment that both groups have suffered. I really don't think that there can be a definitive answer to a question like this. The reason being, we cannot judge someone else's pain. Certainly if there are drastic differences in circumstances, we may deem one worse than another, but the afore mentioned situations are too similar.

Black people have dealt with arguably the worst treatment in the history of the world. Almost 400 years of slavery in America, discrimination that is still being exercised today and social programing that has pitted blacks against one another in their own neighborhoods. There is no way to compete with that. The mental conditioning that is deeply ingrained in blacks is strong enough to last for the next couple Milena. It has bred an insecurity and uncertainty that is almost uncontrollable. Despite the historic mistreatment, and against overwhelming odds, black people have been able to excel in most any situation. Quite commendable, and if I may say so, it is the most amazing comeback story ever.
That being said...
Somewhere in people's (men's) minds throughout the world, women are objects. I do not place the sole responsibility on men because there are not only women who agree to be objectified but perpetuate the belief. But make no mistakes about it, men have made it this way. I'm not trying to man bash or Tyler Perry/Steve Harvey my gender but it is the truth. Women have been viewed as the property of men historically. Being sold, traded or bartered into marriage for money, alliance or whatever reason. Programmed to sell their bodies as sex objects (on whatever level). Conditioned to be fully subservient and dependant on men despite the lack of proper care and respect in return. All of that without being offered the same rights, legally, socially or morally. Despite all that, women have been able to overcome their tribulations to become be soooooo powerful throughout the world.
So the answer to the question is....
I don't know who is oppressed more but I do know that....
I am not strong enough to be a black woman.
I tip my hat to strong black women.
And since I am a fashion whore, here are two of my favorite black women of the moment.

and

I shot them at Diane Von Furstenberg's show. A pleasant surprise.

As I was shooting fashion week I was keeping my eyes open for black models. I saw a few here and there but definitely not a large amount. There is solice in the fact that Chanel Iman, Arlenis Sosa Jourdan Dunn, Sessilee Lopez are tearing the fashion world apart. Beautiful women of color at the forefront of an industry that has allegedly been racist in the past. Hats off to Beverly Johnson, Iman, Naomi Campbell and Tyra Banks for kicking the door down.
This new breed of black supermodel is trampelling the competition. It seems that once people of color get a hold of something, they find a way to master it. It is a new day and blacks and women are in positions that were previously unimaginable. Keep pushing.